Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Coffee Filter Trees


If you have been following my blog a little, I think you can tell that I like to recycle, up cycle and use materials in new ways.

One of my favorite materials to use is coffee filters.

They are inexpensive and very versatile. 

I have used them for many projects.

With Christmas around the corner, I wanted to share an easy project today.

Coffee Filter Trees!



These are a great project for a creative day with family or friends.


You will need:

Coffee Filters
RIT Dye
hot glue gun and glue sticks
a piece of wire
a cardboard cone 
and 2 stars (I used white tin)


First Dye your coffee filters.

You can follow directions here.

or find directions in my RIT Studio.


You can choose a traditional color like green.

You can leave them white.

Or you can come up with any color you like.

Here I have a green tree and a coffee dyed tree (as well as a little burlap tree).


I have actually made a dusty rose one as well.

I sold it at my fall show.


To make the tree, fold each coffee filter into fourths and twist the end.

I gave similar directions for my recycled sheet banner here.

I fold and twist my filters while watching tv.


Then I just start at the bottom of the cardboard cone and begin gluing the tips on.

I continue to add and fill in the cone until I get a few inches from the top.

When you get close to the top, stop to add the star.

Cut a piece of wire about 12 inches long.

Poke a hole in the top of the cone to be sure the wire will go through.

Now make a loop in the end of the wire.

 Feed the end of the wire up the inside of the cone by holding the loop on the inside.

Once the wire comes through the hole in the top, grasp it and pull it until it is the whole way out and the wire loop is just inside the top of the cone.

Trim the wire to be just a little shorter than your star.

Hot glue the stars on either side of the wire.


Then finish adding coffee filters until the tree is full.

Super Easy.

This is a great project to do with family or friends.

It is cheap for materials and everyone can do it.



Don't you love it when right as you take the photo, a bug lands on your project?!

Thanks for stopping by....

Linking up with these great blogs...

No comments: