Friday, December 19, 2014

Polymer Clay Ornaments



I love polymer clay.


It takes me back to playing with play doh when I was a kid.

I wanted to make some simple Christmas ornaments for our open house.

I took a trip to the craft store and got a few new cookie cutters and a big box of Sculpey Original clay.


I like how soft it is.

I rolled out the clay and cut a few shapes.


I used some letter stampers to add a few words.





Ok.  Here is where I had a glitch.


In the winter, sometimes my toaster oven singes things if it is very cold outside.


That happened here.





They are no longer the snowy white I wanted.





Some got quite singed.




Ouch!

So I thought I would add some crackle and paint.

Always follow the directions on the product.

I did not seal these first as instructed so the crackle could not slide around and crackle.

It did leave some subtle texture.



Next I used some DecoArt Chalky finish paint.


That stuff covers a lot of mishaps.




Once they were dry, I scuffed each one with a sanding block for a primitive look.


I love the way they turned out despite all the issues...



You can tell these have the subtle texture from the crackle glaze.



It left them just a little bumpy.

These would be really easy to do with kids.

And they would last longer than traditional salt dough ornaments.

I love that about Sculpey.

They don't get damp and moldy.

Mice and critters do not nibble on them in your attic.

They are durable and seldom break.

They look great!




I do love the way they turned out but they are not what I planned when I started the project.

That happens to me often....

Sigh...

I just roll with it.



Thanks for stopping by....

Linking up with these great blogs.


No comments: