Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Workbench Wednesday...Felted Wool Dryer Balls

A couple weeks ago, I was doing some needle felting with friends.

We spent the afternoon poking wool, talking and eating.

Ahhh...good times...

After they left, I decided to make some wool dryer balls before I put the wool away.

Here is a peek at the process.

I use raw, clean wool, wool yarn, wool roving and nylons for mine.


I start with the raw wool and wrap it into a ball.


Then I wrap that with either wool yarn or a wool roving.


I try to cover as much of the white wool as I can.


I used multi-colored yarn for some and multiple colors of wool roving for others.


I bought a couple raw fleeces a few years ago.

I washed and cleaned the wool, dyed it and carded it to make my own wool roving.

It is not as vibrant or consistent as purchased roving.

But I am so proud that I did it myself.


After each ball is rolled, wrapped and ready, I tuck it into a nylon knee high and tie it off.

I continue to add balls and tie the nylon until it is full.

Generally I get 5-6 per knee high.

The next part of process will be the wet felting...

Not at all difficult.

I will add these to the next several loads of laundry washed in hot water.

Come back to see how they turned out and learn more about what I do with them when they are done.


Thanks for stopping by...


No comments: