Sunday, August 30, 2015

Plaster dipped silk flowers...


Have you seen plaster dipped silk flowers?

I saw them last fall and was enchanted. 

 I wanted to try it for myself.

Sometimes, the crafting gods deliver what I need right to my doorstep (almost).

Last winter, a small silk flower arrangement blew into our yard on a windy day.

There were red, white and blue silk roses stuck in a piece of styrofoam.  

The flowers were all faded and my husband was going to throw it away.

I saved it just for this project.


I mixed plaster with some water to make a little thinnner than pancake batter consistency.

Then I dipped each rose into the mixture and pushed it down several times to coat all the petals.

I hung them on this card display.

The newspapers below are very important.


The red and blue roses required more than one dipping to cover the flower as much as I wanted it to.


These were the white roses and I only dipped them once.  I liked the finer, more delicate look only one coating created.


They have the look of porcelain.


The blue and red ones were dipped twice and have a chunkier look to them.

You can also see where they were touching the hook below on my rack as it left a mark when the flowers were removed.


I wanted to make a coastal arrangement to say good bye to summer.

First I spray painted this hammered aluminum two-tiered stand.

Then I added my plaster flowers and some coastal touches.


I started with some spanish moss to fill the trays.


Then I added starfish, seashells and pearls.


I gathered another handful of smaller shells and went back to fill in some bare spots and cover  any chips in the plaster.


I also added some of the plaster-dipped leaves.


It is a fun coastal arrangement.


Right now it is on my front porch next to the door.


For these photos, it is on my workbench on the back porch.


I think something like this would be so fun to do for a coastal wedding.


Some sisal rope would be a great addition as well.


I really enjoyed this process.


It was fun and easy to do.


They are pretty fragile so it not something you want to do for things that will be banged around or handled a lot.


Once I am done with them in this arrangement, I may do a fall version with leaves and a Christmas version with either poinsettias or evergreen branches.


I removed my roses from the stems, but you could make an arrangement in a vase too.


The plaster hardens in the cup relatively quickly but it was hot and humid when I did mine, so they took a minimum of overnight to dry.



Thanks for stopping by....

                  Linking up with these great blogs.

No comments: