Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thrifty Thursday...Glass Mushrooms for the Garden....

A trip to the thrift store with my daughter yielded supplies for a quick garden project.

Thrift stores never seem to lack glass vases and glass bowls.

I picked up 5 of each.


I gave them a wash in the dishwasher.

It was a really hot, humid day when I did this.

You can see the glass steamed up when it came outside from the cooler house.



I used some of Beacon's 527 glue.



I put the bowls on the driveway and ran a line of glue around the raised edge of the bottom of the vase.

Then I just set each one in the bowl and let them sit until they were dry.



It took mine about 4-6 hours before I actually took them in the garden for placement.

I would recommend over night or longer just to be sure.


You may wonder why on earth I glued the vases that way...

I have a good reason.

I don't want them to keep tipping over.

I took a piece of rebar and pounded it in the flower bed with a hammer.


I slipped the mushroom on and we are good to go.


Even a heavy rainstorm or small animals running by won't tip these mushrooms over.


This would be a super easy kid's craft.

You could even paint the glass with glass paints.


I wanted the subtle clear look this time.


Since I made 5, I have plenty to go around.

I added a piece of rebar to the planter in front of the garage.


And the mushroom perfectly fills a little space there.




You may already have everything you need at home for this quick project.

Thanks for stopping by...

Linking up with these great blogs...

No comments: